Tax returns are to determine how much tax you have already paid and how much tax you owe to pay.
Summary of Key points:
- You can either fill in your tax return online or on paper.
- Deadline for online tax return is 31st January after the tax year end.
- Deadline for paper tax return is 31st October after the tax year end.
- If you're on PAYE, you don't have to fill in a tax return whereas if you're a Company director you must.
- There are 2 types of tax returns; Short (4 pages) and Full (many pages!) - check whether you can just get over it by the Short Tax Return.